Looking back on the history of this site, there sure are a lot of posts about
packing and unpacking. I don’t really like packing very much, but it is a
necessary part of life. That said, if you’re going to pack, the best way to make
it low-friction is to have a quality packing list. Here’s the one we just used
for a summer trip to Cape Cod.
- ☐ UV Tent / Sun-Shelter / Bug-low oasis: Cover your meal-prep and/or picnic
table with this and keep it as sealed as possible. This was a game-changer for
- ☐ Warm light, high-output lantern: our lighting rig was based on LEDs that,
while bright, didn’t create or exude that warm incandescent glow. This meant
that the shelter in the dark was nice, but not homey
- ☐ Tree-mounted water jug: We did a number of water-hauls to get water. One
larger dispenser, mounted to a tree would have made tasks like cleanup much
handier for not much more weight.
- ☐ Bug Spray / DEET / Whatever: Keep handy for immediate application at site
- ☐ Cortisone: For when then bug spray fails
- ☐ Sunscreen: You’re going to be outside a lot, don’t fall risk to complacency. Apply often.